Thursday, October 9, 2008

Outside the Box goes right back inside...




Here's what we, OUTSIDE THE BOX, drew inside of...a box.



How unusual that no one in the group thought to draw everything on the OUTSIDE. Because by conforming to what everyone else was doing, we in turn are thinking "inside the box". And taking into consideration that our name in itself is a cliché, we are kind of double inside of a box...But thankfully two negatives usually make a positive, so therefore by conforming to conformity we are INDEED thinking outside the box!

At first I thought we were making an ice cream cone, but it sort of took form of some demented Picasso Cat. Of course my mark in the portrait is of great significance, a stick figure on the cat's forehead screaming. I know I know, it's absolutely genius how my stick man personifies the global economy and one's right to choose and etc...Or it's just a cat, seriously can one honestly decipher what the hell any of these silly doodles mean? Don't get me wrong, I had the time of my life drawing this stuff with the group, but really now? I also don't mean to dishonor the fine work of my colleagues, but look at this drawn on the outside of our enclosed borders.

Dude, in my professional opinion that's f*cked up. Ye olde peasant woman is completely dismembered, yelling "Aw!" above some weird cat thing. In my personal opinion that's PRETTY outside the box, although I quite enjoyed the sight of an upside-down dog and a man-thing sitting on the moon.


I might be slightly biased having contributed that bone protruding from that poor peasant woman, but at LEAST it is outside the box! I'm kind of ashamed of myself for not even associating "outside the box" with a group assignment where we draw stuff inside a box. In the immortal words of Randy Jackson, "Yo dawg, yo got to step up yo game." I believe that is what we must do, step up yo game fo sho blah blah disjointed convoluted inspirational talk etc etc. My hope for this upcoming quarter is that we live up to our title, although under thought and clichéd. Actually, scratch that last line, I want to not only go outside the box but destroy it. I want to eliminate it, it's family and closest relatives will have to be relocated, and the untimely death of the box will serve warning to boxes across America.

So there it is, Outside the Box's take on our drawing inside of a box. Although I quite enjoyed the assignment itself, it sort of defeated the purpose of having a group called "Outside the Box." Dear Lord is it too late to call ourselves something different? Like "Destroy your Box" or "All work and no box make box a dull box" or something else along those lines. I mean Outside the Box? Really? If we're outside the box why are we mentioning the oppressive tirant known as "box" in our group title? It's like Liberals calling themselves "Anti-Conservatives". Acknowledging the "Man" in one's title is the worst thing an independent-minded group should do (except "F*ck that Box", I believe that title would suffice just as well as any other).

Point is I move that our original title be completely abolished...But if not, I'll deal with it. Afterall, being known as "Outside the Box" for 3 more months won't sting as much as being called "Outside the...." Oh wait nevermind, it'll sting for the next 90 days or so. That entire 216 hour period will be as comforting as eating a bowl of tacks with a nice glass of concentrated lemonade. My apologies for going on such a rant, I felt this post should symbolize something more than just "here's our picture! it's amazing!" I guess you could say I'm thinking outside the box! Ho ho ho I could feel my heart imploding as I typed those words. Anyway, enjoy our pictures!

-Elijah Sickel
Photographer

PS: hahaha JUST realized that we're now called "Atmosphere"...eh! I can live with that...maybe "Breakthrough the Atmosphere"...

4 comments:

Outside The Box said...

here here! I second that motion...
Kim Williams

Outside The Box said...

hysterical
i really got a nice chuckle out of this
-Christina Benvegnu

Outside The Box said...

Haha well THANK you. :]
-Elijah Sickel

ubik said...

Great work everyone. I get a good sense of your group dynamic from this little project. Appreciate the photo of your results. You might benefit from looking at my response to the picture of the square pumpkin. (eric's post from the weekend) I'm looking forward to seeing you creative work develop.

Also I'll go over assignment #2 in more detail tomorrow. Someone left a comment on PILEOFDIRT about it. Just wanted to acknowledge that.

AL