Tuesday, October 14, 2008


So this weekend I went up to Half Moon Bay to spend the weekend with my uncle and aunt.  It was quite nice to have some peace and solice away from the constant din of the dorms.  On my back to Santa Cruz my family and I enjoyed some breakfast while watching the annual pumpkin weigh-off.  Although a pumpkin weighing 915 lbs was quite astonishing I was impressed by a farmer who brought a square pumpkin (waiting to receive pic).  Im assuming that the farmer grew the pumpkin in a box in order for it to take on that shape.  I found it quite ironic that something that strayed away from the norm shape of a pumpkin was created by being placed in a box.  It's funny that something "outside of the box", different, was created inside of a box.  Is it possible to have creativity within a confined space, whether the space be a box, a theatre or a square drawn on piece of paper.  Does a box's lack of creativity create a desire to think "outside of the box?"

Till  next time
-Eric Windell

1 comment:

ubik said...

Good post Love the pumpkin shot very ironic...no? However I'm wondering if you guys are spinning your wheel with all this "out side the box" talk. inside outside? where? what box? Granted I'm sure the topic you are dancing around is context. right? every thing has a context a frame a so-called box can there be something really outside this framework? What if you just came out and talked about the box itself? what is a theater? a box. what is a stage? what is the earth? can you have a box in a box in a box ad infinitum?

keep up the good work.

Al